Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:05:54 +1100
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jails with securelevel 3 still need retpoline?

I want to have a secure platform, but would not like to degrade performance
(amd64 based systems)

If everything that a user touches is in a jail (sendmail, dovecot, squid,
httpd, ...), and each jail is running at secure level 3 AND there are no
/dev/mem nor /dev/kmem devices accessible within the jail, do I still need
to mitigate unauthorised access in src.conf, prior to a build, using
WITH_RETPOLINE & WITH_KERNEL_RETPOLINE?

Part of the reason for concern is when I jexec into j1,
j1# tty
/dev/pts/8
even though there is no pts node under /dev.
j1# ls /dev/
crypto  fd      null    random  stderr  stdin   stdout  urandom zero

root is further restricted as I'm also running (most) applications with
unpriviledged identities (eg www) where I'm leveraging
security.mac.portacl.rules.

This has been on my mind for sometime, but now a decision is needed, so any
advise welcome :)