Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:00:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail storm

As Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> > >Overnight I had received 650 mails or so (instead of 120 - my
> > >normal daily load) and many of these are deja-vu mails.
> >
> > Me too. I detect funny ``Received: '' lines, 550 mails via ra.dkuug.dk
> > and 100 mails via th-darmstadt.de.
>
> 	send me one, including headers please, if you have any that you
> have not deleted

There's a simple explanation.

The gateway between the German educational network (WiN) and the US
lines is known to suck rocks.  Last week, the entire situation has
been hardened by the fact that some MCI.net link inside US
additionally appears to drop many packets on the floor.  This caused a
situation where the packet lossage exceeded 50 % almost the entire
week.  (Normally, when MCI is working well, the WiN gateway gets
better by night hours.)  This caused many mails being deferred on
freefall, only ~ 20 % of all mails came through.  Some of the mails
have been deferred from Monday 4th, until Saturday 9th!

By Friday, Poul-Henning has been playing with his new mail forwarder
for Northern Europe (ra.dkuug.dk), which caused many of the queued
mails to drain from freefall via his site.  Then, Michael Beckmann
offered zit1.zit.th-darmstadt.de, and Poul-Henning has changed the
mail routing again.

Now all i hope is that the next week will not repeat the disaster from
the previous one (th-darmstadt.de is also connected on the WiN, and
therefore dependant from the poor WiN<->US gateway(s)).

Chris and Wolfram: did you really get _duplicates_?  Check carefully;
i didn't find any duplicate among the ~ 600 mails.

--
cheers, J"org