Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:29:02 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Macintosh filesystem features

On 16 Dec 95 at 23:08, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> I don't know if this is patented
> and why it has not been adopted by other filesystems.
> Not even in Win95 (though this doesn't actually say much :)
> you can find this feature. At least I believe it is not possible to
> add an arbitrary resource to an arbitrary file (like a bitmap). (One
> can link an .rbj to an .exe, though but that's all) At most to a
> certain extension like .doc to Word files and so on.

Aren't OS/2's extended attributes like this? They tend to hold file
type data, icons, and in the case of REXX scripts the object code for
the script. But they can be used for whatever you want. It's a nice
feature in OS/2, but I'd hate to see the FreeBSD fs go that way.
It's a bit too un-unix. It's the sort of thing the Linux camp might
do.

BTW after playing for linux for a while, I've decided that linux
stands for "Linux Is Not UniX", sort of like GNU's name.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS. ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432