Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 14:02:54 +0000 (WET DST)
From:      "Alexis Yushin" <alexis@unicorn.ww.net>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Subject:   Re: /usr/local filetree and ports question

Once Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= wrote:
>I think questions like this are more well-suited to the "ports" list,
>Alexis....
	Of course, thank you for the advise.

> * 	My knowledges may be out of date, but every FreeBSD port I saw
> * before used /usr/local/lib directory for its libraries. The question is
> :
> * 	The thing described above would, as I suppose, enhace the structure
> * of the whole FreeBSD.
>
>I agree with you, it's just that we are try to minimize the changes
>necessary to the original source to make upgrades and stuff easier.
>This means following the original's directory structures (as long as
>they are in /usr/local or /usr/X11R6), and this usually means
>/usr/local/lib for the libraries, architecture independent or not.

	This question is the only thing which prevents me from using
FreeBSD ports... I spend much time to convert every package into
the specified format.

	I do agree with /usr/X11R6 -- there is nothing to do with that
filetree -- and in fact it is the job (if at all) of XFree team... So,
here I have to surrender and follow SysVish file hierarchy. (In fact
Imakefile's configs do the job :)

	But I think that converting packages into BSD like filtree
style would be a big enhancement for the whole FreeBSD. It lets
a sysadm to keep his/her system nearly perfect right from the
beginning -- no need to spend time for conversions. In addition it is
not a really difficult job (well, maybe except of NCSA httpd and such
things, which tries to keep its log inder its root directory in /usr/local
brr :-(... Though I made the httpd to use /var/log at the local FreeBSD box).

>It's really not any philosophical decision on our part.  But with
>nearly 300 ports out there, holding the upgrade headaches to a minimum
>has a very high priority to us. ;)

	I see... But, being a real BSD fanatic, I'm sure it is a big
loss in philosophy.

>Satoshi

							alexis

P.S. If someone willing to make the current ports look like I described
before -- I would be very glad to cooperate.

P.P.S. Still unsure if I'm in the mailing list -- reaply to me directly.
--
					So much ado my lover
					So many games we played