Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 1995 21:54:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Steven Lee <ghopper@insane.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ques on Syquest removable drives

Hello,

I would like to know if the Syquest removable drives are supported
by FreeBSD 2.0. And if so, which one(s) - IDE? SCSI?

I noticed that Syquest is not on the list of supported hardware.
I do not have any experience with Syquest drives but I imagine
it would look like any other IDE or SCSI drive. The crucial question
is whether it requires special drivers.

I have bought the Walnut Creek FreeBSD CDROM and am planning to
install it to a new machine. I am trying to work out the machine
configuration. I am keen on using the Syquest drives because this
way I can switch between DOS/Windows (not my choice, work commitments)
and FreeBSD (that's my choice :-)) simply by swapping the Syquest
cartridge. I know that you can partition your disk for multi OS. My
reason for not doing this is because of a previous bad experience
where a virus mangled my MBR and it took me a hell of a long time
to recover both my OS.

Thanks in advance

steven