Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 10:44:40 +0200
From:      Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: boot code

Hello!

On Fri Nov  3 19:40:56 1995 Julian Elischer wrote:
[skipped]
>use "fdisk -u /dev/rsd0"
>when asked about geometry, specify the BIOS geometry.
>(for an adaptec this is usually 64 heads, 32 sectors.. use boot: -v
>to see exactly what) and then allow it to automatically calculate the
>beginning and end sectors/cylinders/heads after just accepting the
>default figures for the BSD partition.
>(run fdisk several times first to get used to it, but always answering 'NO'
>to the last question when it asks if it should write out the new MBR)

Ok, BIOS geometry reported for my disk is: 1023/64/32 (2GB).
(As reported by booting: (sd0,a)/kernel -v)
I run fdisk -u /dev/rsd0 it asks me for a new geometry.
Everything goes fine and at the end it asks me if it should write
new partition table (not MBR?).

I answered yes, rebooted , but it still reported "No operating system"
even after i reinstalled os-bs.

I'm really clueless at this point.
Any ideas?

>> >--
>> >]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
>> >]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
>> >]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
>> >]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
>> >]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[
>>
>> --------
>>  Gennady B. Sorokopud - System programmer at NetVision Israel.
>>  E-Mail: Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
>>  Homepage: http://www.netvision.net.il/~gena
>>
>>  This message was sent at 11/03/95 10:45:34 by XF-Mail

Best regards.

--------
 Gennady B. Sorokopud - System programmer at NetVision Israel.
 E-Mail: Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
 Homepage: http://www.netvision.net.il/~gena

 This message was sent at 11/05/95 10:40:38 by XF-Mail