Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:56:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpd multi-link daemon available

From: Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>

MPD MULTI-LINK PPP DAEMON FOR FREEBSD

Release 1.0a1
Written by Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Based on IIJ-PPP by Toshiharu OHNO <tony-o@iij.ad.jp>

* WHAT IS IT?

  A user-mode PPP daemon based on iij-ppp which supports multi-link PPP.
  It is a complete re-write of the original iij-ppp code.

* IS THIS AN ALPHA RELEASE OR SOMETHING?

  Yes! The bug to documentation ratio is very high!

* HOW DO I BUILD AND INSTALL IT?

  cd src
  make depend all install

* HOW DO I SET IT UP?

  Check the "conf" directory for configuration file examples.
  There are four configuration files:

	mpd.conf	- General configuration
	mpd.links	- Description of available links
	mpd.script	- Modem scripts
	mpd.secret	- Login/password pairs

  If you're familiar with iij-ppp, the configuration method is
  similar: commands read from a file.

* WHAT'S THE COPYRIGHT STATUS?

  Berkeley style: see ``COPYRIGHT.iij'' and ``COPYRIGHT.whistle''.

* WHERE CAN I READ MORE ABOUT IT?

  In the "docs" directory is a preliminary man page and some other
  assorted stuff. In the "conf" directory are example configuration
  files with descriptive comments.

* WHERE CAN I GO FOR HELP?

  I'll do my best to answer any questions. I'll also try to get a
  mailing list set up somewhere if demand warrants (any offers?).

  This is being released in its woefully undocumented state due to
  several people requesting it. Hopefully there will be more docs soon.

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@whistle.com  *  Whistle Communications Corporation