Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 07:50:22 -0400
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        webmaster@microsoft.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Microsoft's overwhelmed FTP servers

An excerpt from www.microsoft.com:

    Record Demand for Internet Explorer Overwhelms Download Servers

    Microsoft is increasing its download capacity to meet the
    unprecedented demand for Internet Explorer 3.0. Some 32,000 users
    registered the browser from midnight to 6 a.m. Tuesday, and some
    people reported slow download times or error messages. If you
    couldn't get through, try again!

Let's see... that's about 5300 or so requests per hour, assuming a
steady stream of them. Hmm. I notice the IE download page shows five
servers in Redmond offering IE.

So we're talking ~1100 requests per hour per machine. And *that* is
overwhelming demand?! Hahahaahahah!! ftp.cdrom.com does that many
*at the same time.*

Maybe you folks at Microsoft should save yourself a lot of headaches
and upgrade to an operating system that can actually deal with that
kind of load: FreeBSD.

Let's see... more stable, more powerful, and kicks the crap out of NT
for networking. And it's free. Just remember to display the "Powered
by FreeBSD" logo after your upgrades.

Have a nice day!

--
C Matthew Curtin        MEGASOFT, LLC        Director, Security Architecture
I speak only for myself.  Don't whine to anyone but me about anything I say.