Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:35:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        prb@bsdi.com
Subject:   New DOScmd snapshot available

Yes, it's that time of the evening again, where us antipodeans that
haven't had enough sleep crawl off under a rock, and the rest of the
world gets to forget about us completely.

Meanwhile, if you've been following the twisted tortured DOScmd
saga, you may remember that our hero was undergoing major surgery to
deal with some intimate abstraction problems.  I'm pleased to announce
that the patient appears to have come through unharmed, and is thus
available for your scrutiny and emulating pleasure.

The most significant changes in this snapshot are internal; there
should be little or no manifest difference in operation between this
and the 960920 snap, other than the correction of a small bug in the
redirector code.

For more details, check the README in the distribution archive, which
can be found at :
ftp://genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au:/pub/doscmd/doscmd_fbsd-960923.tar.gz

If you have been considering looking at or working on DOScmd, this is
most definitely the version to start with.  Submissions of interest
in any form of assistance, whether it be development or testing are
welcomed!

Particular items requiring work are the NetBIOS interface (if it is
deemed worthwhile), the XMS interface (which is essentially nonexistent),
and some more work on the redirector (the code which allows access to
the *BSD filesystem by programs running in the emulator).  For more
details, respond to this message.

If you're a DOS expert with some time and experience to spare, a
critical eye over the memory and exec routines would be very helpful.
I do not profess to understand these, and I suspect that there may be
some lurking problems.

If you're an ex-DOS user with a pile of applications, any success or
failure reports will be appreciated.  Note that you should avoid
(for now) applications such as "MSD" and "Norton Sysinfo", as they
are known to hang your system.  As with any rough-edged object, handle
with care!

Also, anyone with a NetBSD system and some time is invited to pull the
code down and look at making it compile (again); without a system
here to test on, I'm unable to update things to work properly.