Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:12:10 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.its.uct.ac.za>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compressing filesystem for FreeBSD

On 24 Feb 96, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> Does anyone know if anyone has done any work on writing a
> compressing filesystem for FreeBSD? I've been thinking about this,
> and the strategies to do it, and I'd like to know if there is any
> previous work out there I can refer to...

This isn't much of an answer, but since nobody else has said
anything I'll point out that the the nearest thing that's here now is the
pseudo-device gzip which allows gziped a.outs to be run. Perhaps all
that is needed is to extend that device to other files?

I'd hate to see us go the same direction as MS-DOG and create a
single file with all the other files compressed into it. Perhaps the
netware 4 technique of compressing files that haven't been access for
a certain time using a (very) niced daemon?

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS.
ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432