Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:37:22 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        brad@american.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        brad@mozart.american.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: vat: no audio output

> It's an interesting artifact of the vat code that if the audio open fails,
> then the VU meters don't do anything even if audio is being received from
> the net...
>
> (so, for example, if /dev/audio is not accessible to your process, because
> it's chmod 600, vat looks dead even if you are getting audio from the net)
> -brad

Yes, I think this has to do with the design of vat.  Try listening to
3 or four sessions at the same time.  The VU meters will only work on the
one that is currently active.

This is really an artifact of how the internal vat clock works.  It reads
samples from the sound card to determine timing characteristics.  This
works well if you are in the workstation world and sound cards actually
produce the frequency's that they are asked to.  This doesn't work so well
in the PC world where soundcard will produce something that is close to
the frequency you ask for.

The problem isn't an easy one to solve.  Vmix attempts to solve the problem
by using system interval timers to clock things, but this still isn't a real
good solution.

	-Jim