Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 03:17:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   send-pr question

Hi. I was just getting ready to CVSup the latest RELENG_2_2 so I could
help in testing. So I looked at the send-pr command to submit the bug
reports... but while installing the CVSup package, I had a problem.. I
put in the modula-3-lib package, then the cvsup-13.5 package. But when I
ran cvsup ld.so complained about not being able to find libz.so.2.0. So
I ftp'ed to ftp.freebsd.org and grabbed the
/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/lib/libz/* files and comiled them up with
the default makefile. It only made a libz.a and libz_p.a. I put them in
/usr/lib but obvioulsy there was no libz.so.2.0.  So I set about learning
how to do shared libraries -- I'm glad this problem came up cause it gives
me an excuse to learn about the shared library stuff :-)

Anyways, I'm still looking up the shared lib stuff (I'm new to Unix and I
love hitting problems like this cause I like trying to figure everything
out for myself), but now back to the send-pr(1) question:

The man page mentions I need a submitter-id. So I typed: send-pr
--request-id. Of course, then I realized that I was on my machine at home
connected over a dial-up line and I didn't tell it my email address so I'm
assuming there's no way for me to get my unique sid back -- correct??
Plus, the man page (if I read it correctly) says if I'm contacting the
FreeBSD project, that I can just run send-pr "out of the box" and it will
have a customer id already. Is that true, or should I still bother with
the --request-id business?? I can so a send-pr from a machine that's got a
permanent connection to the net - so is this the best thing to do?

Sorry for the long message, but I want to get this right so I can be
useful in helping with the testing..

TIA,
-Mark

Now, back to figuring out how to turn a .a and _p.a into a .so lib..... I
was hoping ldconfig was all that was involved, but now I see that ldconfig
is just for telling ld.so where it's .so libs are! Neato.

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| RingZero Comp.  	www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch