Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 10:01:11 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: one IP - multiple hosts?

Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I remember of having heard something about a method of sharing one IP
> address between multiple hosts in a network... e.g. to connect a LAN to an
> ISP using just one address. Is there any method for doing this with a
> FreeBSD box as a router? If so, what about the performance of such a
> connection?

You can do that *for certain applications* by using proxies. You can
either use socks (it's in the ports) if the applications you're using on
the machines on the LAN have socks support, or use proxy agents for the
applications you need (there are many proxies for web access, and the
fwtk, which is also in the ports, has proxies for things like ftp,
telnet and X). Most of those proxies are most easily used when machines
on the LAN are only clients, but there are even ways to configure it so
that the machiens on the LAN can act as http/ftp/whatever servers.

Another option is to use the NAT option of the IPfilter package (again,
look in the ports). I've never used it myself, and I think only the
latest Beta works with FreeBSD. It's advantage is that it should be
completly transparent for the applications running on the LAN.

As for performance, unless you have a T3 to the Internet, your
bottleneck will probably be at the line, not the router/proxy.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> |      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez          |
> |  Unidad de Internet/Red Cientifico-Educativa  |
> | Depto. de Procesamiento Electronico de Datos  |
> | Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala -USAC- |
> |e-mail: victor@usac.edu.gt,                    |
> |Telefono oficina: (502)4769723 (fax/voz)       |
> |                  (502)4767719 (voz)           |
> |Telefono casa   : (502)4782916 (502)2891037    |
Nadav