Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 15:07:59 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, skafte@worldgate.com (Greg Skafte)
Subject:   Re: Tekram 390U and Seagate hawk ST32151N

On Nov 30, marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko) wrote:
> [Sent to hardware and scsi; unless you have a reason, please followup to
> only one list.  scsi is probably better, since it is dealing with freebsd
> drivers now.]
>
> Nickolay's suggestion worked, so now we can get past the BIOS probing
> stage.  However, FreeBSD still won't boot.  <sigh> I am using -stable with
> the NCR driver (ncr.c and ncrregs.h) from -current dropped in.  A 300 meg
> drive will work fine, but when it tries to probe the 2 gig hawk we get
> something like:
>
> 	sd0(ncr0:4:0): COMMAND failed (9 ff) @[address]
> 		sd0 could not get size error ncr0: aborting job
> 	ERROR (90:0) (0-21-15) (0/13) @ (418:43000060)
> 		script cmd = 878b0000
> 		reg : [deleted]
> 	ncr0: restart failed

Please do not use the driver from -current under -stable !
There have been quite some changes, and I'm surprised you got
that far ... (552 lines of diffs in ncr.c alone ...)

> Booting with a 2.2-ALPHA disk works fine, so either I missed something
> from the NCR stuff between stable and current or there was another change
> that fixed this.  Anyone have any ideas about what it could be?  Nothing
> stood out in the CVS logs as being obvious.
>
> If all else fails, we just have to move to 2.2 which won't kill us, but we
> would prefer not to for this machine.

Please allow a few days to send you patches that add all
-current driver features to the NCR driver in -stable. It
is too late to integrate them into 2.1.6.1 (AFAIK), but
I'll support 2.1.x as long as there is interest by users.

Regards, STefan