Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 96 17:04:26 EST
From:      sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   How secure is FreeBSD 2.1 right after install?

Is there anything I need to do to secure my system after a fresh install
>from the Walnut Creek CD?

I've already disabled the r*, finger and telnet services in inetd.conf.
I don't expect I'll need them. Is there anything else I need to worry
about?

Our local ethernet will start with two FreeBSD machines and a Cisco
router, connected to the internet. One of the FreeBSD machines will be a
web server (probably running Apache) and the other will be for web page
development under X Windows.

I'm concerned that X might be a potential security hole, since it uses
TCP port 6000 to accept connections from clients... Can I close off
remote access to the X server without having to install a firewall? I
won't need to access the X server from the LAN. Can X be set to ignore
the TCP port?

I'm interested in anything that might be a security problem.