Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:22:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows

Charles Henrich stands accused of saying:

> >   Generally the above is caused by a poor UART, and and an overloaded CPU.
>
> Not in this case, its a 16550A, on a 486/66 doing absolutely nothing except
> trying to do filetransfer over the serial port with a custom app I wrote..

And of course if you bothered to read the sio(4) manpage it would tell
you what the error message means.  Or if you'd mentioned that you're
using a custom appliction talking to the serial port it might have
been possible to give you an answer sooner.

Your application is busted; data is arriving faster than your app is
reading it, and the kernel has run out of patience and started
throwing the data away.