Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 22:50:28 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp mirror and mail relay changes at au.freebsd.org

Here at USyd, the passing of Internet traffic charges down to individual
departments is going to happen soon.  In preparation for this, incoming
traffic has been monitored for the last three months (Sept - Nov).  This
has shown that the incoming traffic associated with maintining the
FreeBSD ftp mirror here (ftp.au.freebsd.org) is a significant fraction
of the Physics dept's total traffic for that period.  It seems that a
significant part of this is related to the packages and distfiles
directories.  As a consequence, I will no longer be mirroring those
directories.  I intend to continue mirroring everything else unless the
incoming traffic associated with that proves to be too great (which I
doubt).

One surprise (to me) in the figures was the amount of incoming traffic
that appears to be associated with our relaying of FreeBSD list email
to .au sites.  This is the only significant source of incoming traffic
that I can attribute to that particular IP address.  The total for those
three months is about 2.4 GBytes (and represents about 10% of our total
incoming traffic for that period).  Does anyone else have figures for
this sort of thing, and if so, does this seem reasonable?  Anyway, a
consequence of this is that I can't continue doing this relaying.  Can
someone else volunteer to take over as the primary MX for
mail.au.freebsd.org?  The current relays are:

mail.au.freebsd.org.    12H IN MX       0 www.au.freebsd.org.
mail.au.freebsd.org.    12H IN MX       10 gecko2.dialix.com.

I'm going to be away for a while from about the middle of next week, so
I'd like to get this sorted out by Monday.

David