Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:16:08 +0800 (HKT)
From:      Bo Fussing <bmf@gateway.net.hk>
To:        Michael Roark <roark@bulloch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail v. sendmail

Michael,

We run a mailing list of about 850+ subscribers using qmail 1.01 and
Majordomo 1.94. One of the nicest things about qmail being used with a
mailing list is the rolling back on the frequency of mail send retries as
the messages get older in the queue. This contrasts with sendmail that
will flush its whole mail queue at a predefined time bringing the machine
to its knees if you are getting a lot of bounces or delivery errors.
Overall qmail is small and fast, see www.qmail.org for further info.

As an alterternative you might have a look at ezmlm as a an alternative
to majordomo, though having no direct experience with it, the active
qmail mailing list speaks pretty highly of it.

Please feel free to contact me direct if you need help in setting up
Majordomo under qmail.

Bo

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Michael Roark wrote:

> Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 15:52:23 -0400
> From: Michael Roark <roark@bulloch.com>
> To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: qmail v. sendmail
>
> I am currently setting up one of our 'closet' machines, an old 486/33
> w/16mb of ram, to serve as a Majordomo machine. I want to get as much
> performance out of the machine as possible (though my expectations aren't
> very high). My question: does anyone out there have any input on qmail? I
> am considering dumping Sendmail for qmail (partially as an experiment), and
> running Majordomo for the lists. Thought the project is down on the
> priority foodchain, I don't want to waste my time with an avoidable mistake.
>
> Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Michael Roark
>
> Systems Administrator
> Simply Digital
> v. 912.842.9168
> f. 912.842.9130

Gateway Internet - Hong Kong

Tel : +852 2963 7354				MIME & PGP Mailing OK
Fax : +852 2963 7353