Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 18:13:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Real hackes run -current

To quote a famous person (hi PHK!).

In any case, I made *lots* of changes this weekend, although most of
them aren't *major* functionality additions (more below).  Hopefully
it'll pave the way to see some more funcationality additions, though.
But, before that happens, I need people to test out the code.  I don't
anticipate many problems, but there's always someone whose computers
quits working.

You *MUST* re-config your kernel in order to get things working, since
there are new files, and the options have changed (new filenames are
generated.)

What I did this last week (in no particular order):

1) Re-named a bunch of things.  This of course won't make *any*
   difference in functionality, but it will make things easier to
   follow.  For example the old code had pccard_drv and pccard_dev,
   and sometimes it was easy to get the two confused.  Other
   misc. cleanups went in as well to make the code hopefully easier to
   maintain.

2) Only try to suspend/resume 'active' cards.  In the past it attempted
   to suspend/resume any card that was ever active in the system.  It
   does this no more, and only does operations on 'currently' active
   cards.

3) IRQ's are now allocated from the bottom up.  I had changed it to be
   more like Win95, but at least one very popular laptop had problems
   doing it that way (the ThinkPad 560).  Until we can figure out why, I
   reverted to the old code.

4) Gave up trying to do suspend/resume.  Basically, everything I tried
   to get things working on my laptop at resume time *except* pretending
   the card was inserted from scratch.  More works needs to be done
   here, but the code that's in place should work on at least *some*
   laptops (it works with mine).  Pay attention to changes here.

5) pccard_beep is now a new file which contains the 'beeping' code.  I
   liked bringing the code out like was done in PAO, but I didn't like
   how it was done, and where things were placed.  I think this is
   cleaner, and affects things less.

6) Linker sets are used to register PCCARD drivers.  This was taken
   directly from PAO, and was a *great* idea, and one that I should have
   used a long time ago.  But, fishing season was on. :) :)

7) The aic6360 driver was updated with PCCARD support.  So, the Adaptec
   SlimSCSI is now supported (at least the one that is distributed with
   my Sony CD-ROM works, other may need tweaks to /etc/pccard.conf).

My todo list is:

1) Work on the suspend/resume stuff until we can get things working
   reliably on *all* of the systems.  If suspend/resume doesn't work, I
   want to know about it so we can make it work.  If it works, I want to
   know about it as well!

2) Bring in additional drivers from PAO.  The current list of supported
   drivers is pretty weak, and I'd like to 'upgrade' our current drives
   (if necessary), and bring in 'safe' changes from PAO that don't
   affect desktop stability/functionality.

3) Look at the PAO code to see how to support PCI/CardBus machines.  I
   now understand what's done there, and I think with some slight
   changes it can be brought into a maintainable state in FreeBSD.  I'd
   like some help/feedback on this though, since I know *nothing* about
   PCI or CardBus.

Once that is done, FreeBSD won't be as easy to setup as PAO is now, but
we should have almost all of the functionality (modulo the desktop
destabilizing patches).  They have done lots of things to the user-land
pccard code, but in the opinions of the FreeBSD developers we need to
completely re-think and re-write the user-land code, so bringing in more
junk into a pretty hairy piece of code will only make things more
difficult in the long run.  I welcome dissenting opinions though.

None of the above is really too hard to do, or involves much brain
power, it just takes time.  If anyone has some and is willing to do the
work, send me some email, or better yet reply to the list and we can get
on it.  Who knows how long my current 'spurt of energy' will last, so
take advantage of it while you can. *grin*

Nate