Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:11:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org, Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
Subject:   Pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, Update

With lots of help from many good people, here is how far I got:

a.  The port still talks about 6.2.1, so forget that.

b.  When configuring, make sure you specify ``/usr/locl/include/tcl{whatever
    _version} /usr/local/include/tk{whatever_version}''

c.  In configure (you can/should do it to configure.in and regenerate it
    via autoconf - I'll let YOU figh this one :-)  you should specify the
    explicit libraries, as in TCL_LIB = tcl8.1 and TK_LIB = tk8.1, instead
    of the generic TCL_LIB = tcl

These above steps are curtesy of the changes to the .mk files that deprive
FreeBSD from a normal, default tcl/tk installation in an attempt to
acomodate all the versions necessary in many different places.

More steps:

d.  Edit src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl to remove the line ``load libpgtcl''

e.  Install the above directory someplace sensible (other then the source
    tree.  I put it in ~pgsql/bin/pgaccess.dir

f.  Write yourself a bit script that does ``pgtksh -f
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgaccess.ir/pgaccess.tcl''

The script will promptly start very nicely.

More Fun:

g.  Pull down the Database menu, select Open

h.  Enter your favorite database name and connection data

i.  Since tcl is interpreted/embedded it is immune to C programming errors.
    Thus it will promptly generate a segmentation fault and die.

j.  Post the results to the FreeBSD current list, and to the pgsql list and
    home the readers still have patience for your klutziness.

Have fun!

BTW, My offer of a ``free login'' still stands.

Oh, did I start from a clean source tree, etc?  Yes.

I am cross-posting this to freebsd-database, as most -current users do not
care about database stuff.

Please follow up in freebsd-databases, not free-bsd-current.

Simon