Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:50:45 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Clusters, Distributed File Systems and FreeBSD

Is anyone doing work on distributed filesystems (where files can be spread
across > 1 node) on FreeBSD? The reason I'm interested is because I'm working
for a Seismic DP company, and we use clusters all over the place (mainly IBM
SP2 systems). They share filesystems using PIOFS, where each node has a 4GB
disk shared out out. These are combined together and seen as one ginormous fs.

I'm hoping to port our software environment to FreeBSD, initially having it
set up for an SMP environment (it's based around PVM/MPI, BTW) as I only have
one node. As time & finances permit, I'll purchase up to 4 boxes using cheap
hardware for a proof of concept. I'm not expecting earth-shattering
performance, it's being done mostly to satisfy my own curiousity.

	Stephen