Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:26:32 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Sergey S. Kosyakov" <ks@itp.ac.ru>
To:        "Thomas Y.C. Woo" <woo@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problem with 16G IBM DTTA 351680 EIDE drive

I use almost the same disk with 3.0-SNAP. The first time I install that disk I
met the same problem. You can fix that by hand:
1. With fdisk set disk geometry 2055 cyls, 255 hds, 63 sect,
   then edit FreeBSD slice and set correct start and end sectrors, and slice
   size
2. With disklabel edit FreeBSD slice and set correct partitions sizes

After that you can do newfs, whatever etc, and ignore wdc messages about disk
geometry.

Sergey.

On 15-Aug-98 Thomas Y.C. Woo wrote:

>I was trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 onto my Dell R400 with
>a 16G IBM DTTA 351680 drive.
>
>Before the install, I successully partitioned the drive into
>3 partitions as follows using Partition Magic:
>
>    Partition 1: FAT about 2G
>    Partition 2: NTFS about 6G
>    Partition 3: unused about 8G
>
>In addition, Partition Magic indicates that the geometry of
>the drive is 2055 cyls, 255 hds, 63 sects.
>
>During FreeBSD bootup, it correctly identified the drive, but
>incorrectly reported that there is 16383 cyls, 16 hds, 63 sects, 512 b/s,
>and a total of 8063MB in 16514064 sectors.
>
>Then in the fdisk stage of install, it showed that there is
>1027 cyls, 255 hds, and 63 sects, which is also wrong.
>In addition, it failed to see partition 3 altogether and
>did not recognize partition to be NTFS.
>
>I am wondering if anybody has gotten FreeBSD to see the whole
>drive and properly install FreeBSD onto the system.
>
>Thanks,
>Thomas

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message

---
Sergey Kosyakov
Laboratory of Distributed Computing
Department of High-Performance Computing and Applied Network Research
Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics
E-Mail: ks@itp.ac.ru