Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:33:40 -0700
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@c276192-a.lvrmr1.sfba.home.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound volume with pcm/bktr/etc..

I have been using an AOpen AW35 sound card with the pcm driver,
and the volume levels are *really* loud.  As my speakers have
internal amps, there is really nothing I can do there. :(  So,
I have been poking around with the drivers, and would like to
make some observatons.

With xmcd, I'm somewhat confused by the fact that there are
both mixer settings and xmcd settings.  For either one to be
useful, I have to set the other very low.  I've found that
disabling the mixer conversion in snd/ad1848.c makes things
liveable.  The comment in the file mentions not understanding
why its there..  Perhaps we could rip it out?

When I am using fxtv though, it seems even more extreme.  Most
of the time I have the mixer set at 1 (of 100.)  This is still
really not low enough. :(  Is there a way of telling the bt848
that it should be a bit quieter?  Same results with either the
external, or pass through cables.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right
direction here.. even if it would be a complete hack.  This is
a rather annoying problem. :(

Thanks,
Chris Csanady

PS, please cc me as I am not currently on this list.