Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:14:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BT848 -> screen without X?

Has anyone tried writing an 'fxtv' type application without using X?

I have an application where the PC is normally operating unattended with
no user interface at all (just processing the video internally), but it
would be useful to be able to display the video on screen briefly so that
an operator can check that things are set up correctly.

It seems rather overkill to install X just for this.  I can think of
various ugly ways of doing this (eg. capturing to RAM, massaging the
image, then writing to VGA either direct or using the 'vgl' library),
but I wondered if anyone else has already done this, or has better ideas?