Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:08:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: NetBSD network code improvements

Following up on some more really old messages in my INBOX....

<<On Sat, 2 May 1998 13:30:50 -0600 (MDT), Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> said:

> ie. keep minimal state for TIME_WAIT, optimize the timeout handling to
> check less frequently for TIME_WAIT timers, etc.  From what I have seen,
> this can make a big difference on a system with a lot of TIME_WAITs.

What we've discussed in the past is slightly changing the memory
allocation in Justin's ``new'' (only a year old or so) timeout code so
that we can statically allocate timeout structures as a part of the
PCB.  The ``callout wheel'' design makes it fairly cheap to change
timers on the fly, provided we don't get shot down by memory
allocation -- in fact, if I remember the discussion correctly, this is
the original application which motivated the development of the
``callout wheel'' design.  (All of the TCP timers could be
reimplemented to use system timers -- the only reason the networking
code currently doesn't is because system timeouts were too expensive
on a VAX-11/780.)

-GAWollman