Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:32:40 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        GVB <gvb@tns.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server...

Andre Oppermann wrote in message ID
<35C89E8F.EB696A97@pipeline.ch>:
> I would suggest something like this:

> 1x NetApp Filer for maildir storage (does RAID5 and backup)

Incorrect. It does RAID 4, and in software. That, coupled with the fact that
NFS over 1500 byte ethernet is not the best of ideas makes me wonder why you
recommended it. Yes, it will work. It may even scale a bit. But it is far from
an optimal solution. (if you did NFS over CDDI or FDDI it would work a bit
better as you wouldn't need to scale the NFS read/write sizes down to avoid
fragmentation)

There are a number of other solutions, varying in technical skill required,
which use unix machines as message stores and then use lower-powered machines
infront of the message stores to direct inbound traffic. This way you can have
multiple pop servers, and the users are directed transparently to the one
which holds their mail without their changing anything.

You can either do this simply (a POP3 proxy isn't that difficult), or you can
go wild and write your own communications protocol to fetch & store messages
on the stores, and have the customer-facing machines do more work.

This scenario works ... we currently have 400k+ users in the proxied pop
environment, with over 30k of them being online at any one time and checking
their mail. We see (typically) 600-700 concurrent POP3 sessions. However, it
does require a programmer to set up this way ... the NFS version works for
anyone, but I (personally) wouldn't like to scale it up.

> > also appriciated.  Also, does FreeBSD take advantage of dual processers? Is

> FreeBSD won't take advantage of two processors until release 3.0 which
> due in october.

And I wouldn't recommend SMP for a production environment unless you know what
you are doing... Heavily I/O bound machines will not benefit because of the
way the kernel is using locks.

Gary