Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:38:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing to Windows machine via Samba smbclient

On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 12:34:29AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> We got a new PostScript laser printer for Christmas.  It actually
> belongs to my wife, for FrameMaker on her Win95/NT machine.  I, of
> course, want to use it from FreeBSD also.
>
> I searched the archives and couldn't find any simple solutions to this,
> so I plunged in and got it working myself.  It only took me 10 minutes,
> but I thought I should share it with anyone else, just in case.
>
> First, the printcap entry:
>
> 	ps|lp4|PostScript printer via network:\
> 	        :lp=/dev/null:\
> 	        :sd=/var/spool/ps:\
> 	        :lf=/var/spool/ps/log:\
> 	        :af=/var/spool/ps/acct:\
> 	        :if=/usr/local/bin/psprint:\
> 	        :mx#0:\
> 	        :sf:\
> 	        :sh:
>
> All pretty straightforward.  The input filter, /usr/local/bin/psprint,
> is a simple shell script:
>
> 	#! /bin/sh
> 	#
> 	# Print files to the PostScript laser print on our Win95 machine.
> 	# Prints our standard input to the shared printer via SMB.
>
> 	smbclient \\\\anchor\\okidata "" -P -U wes -c 'print -'
>
> where \\anchor\okidata is the SMB server name and share name for the
> print service, and wes is a user on anchor that doesn't require a
> password (otherwise put the password where the null string "" is).
>
> Make the /var/spool/ps directory, touch the /var/spool/ps/log file,
> and make both owned by bin.daemon.  lpc start ps and you're off and
> printing!

Why not mount it on the FreeBSD box and print to it from the Microsoft
box?

> BTW, this is an Okidate OL 610e/PS I got from WebAuction for $182.

You can't complain about the price, especially for a PostScript
printer.  Is it 300 dpi?

> The output seems very nice, and the PostScript interpreter seems to
> handle anything I throw at it, since I crammed a 16Mb FPM SIMM in
> it.  Anyone out there have any Cheers or Jeers for this printer?

My first laser printer was an Oki LaserLine 6, years ago.  It was
pretty bare-bones, even for the time, but it was reliable.  If your
new one's like it, you don't have much to worry about.

Greg