Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:12:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875 SCSI Problems

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Howard Lew wrote:

> > > Try going into the SCSI setup on boot up and set the transfer speed
> > > to 20MB so it doesn't try wide negotiation.

> > I tried setting the speed to 20MB and keeping it at 8 bit, but regardless
> > of what I do the FreeBSD bootup probe still says it is wide scsi and that
> > 16 bit is enabled.  Right after that it starts all the command failed
> > messages.  I flashed upgraded the bios and it didn't help.

The FreeBSD ncr driver does not read the user-setup from NVRAM and it is
not possible to tell it about the BUS width at boot time. So, the WIDE
negotiation has every chance to occur with great success and, as a result,
will break any further data transfer between the controller and the
device.

> > Is there a way to force the driver to use narrow mode?  I know this hard
> > disk can do wide scsi, but I am using the 50 pin connector right now.  Is
> > narrow the default?  So if I comment out the code in the setwide in ncr.c
> > should that do the trick?

You will get the desired effect by just masking the FE_WIDE bit in the
'features' bitmap which is the main result of the chip probe code.
Look into ncr_attach(), the patch should be trivial and very short.

> I did some more checking around and found out that Debian Linux also works
> fine with the Seagate Hawk/Diamond Fireport 40 combination.  But FreeBSD,

The Linux driver reads the user-setup from the controller NVRAM and apply
user desired controller and devices settings. It is also possible to send
it boot parameters. The 2nd method is only usefull for controllers that
donnot have NVRAM.

At the time I have back-ported the Ultra1/2 SCSI support to the FreeBSD
ncr driver, the NVRAM code was available in the Linux ncr53c8xx driver,
but this code hasn't been candidate to the back-port, since SteFan was
working on a different implementation for FreeBSD.

> NetBSD, and OpenBSD all suffer from the same problem of being locked on
> "wide bus" when I am using the narrow connector.

Same problem as FreeBSD.

Regards,
  Gerard.