Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:14:01 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Subject:   Re: Why doesn't it compile?

> I'm going to try _to_ be nice here.

As you want.

> > Now what I have done is:
> >
> > 1) build the binutils. (No prob here)
> >
> > 2) unpacked the egcs1.1b
> >
> > 3) updated using patch to 1.1.1
> >
> > 4) configured with
> >
> > --prefix=.... --target=sparc64-elf and --host=i586-unknown-freebsd2.2.7
>
> Why the hell are you working with 2.2.7?  We are working on -current (3.0)
> and even so, 2.2.8 has been out for quite a long time.

Why? I'm poor, I'm a student and I have not a credit card. I cannot buy cdrom
in USA (no credit card, remember) and here in Italy I have found only the 2.2.7
version.
Actually I have ordered (3 weeks ago) the 3.0 version and still nothing here in
my hands or on my desk.

If you prefer I can stop trying to experiment and developing with this port
effort. You said there are a few developers, now I'm seriously
considering to decrease that number by one...

There's no help from this group and everything seems like a "private club".
Noone post documents where it's explained how to do things in the "cooking
book" way.

I have tried to write some documents, but mine seems an isolated effort.

> This configure line is way broken.

Why? Where? ( I'm not saying it's not broken, I don't know, but you could be
of more help if you tell me why and where it's broken.)

> > 5) given

> > gmake LANGUAGES="c" LIBGCC2_INCLUDES=-I/usr/include

> I'm unsure if you're totally ignoring my advice on how to build this
> properly.  **PLEASE** check the archives of this list for my email.

I have read all emails. But I have no choose. If you prefer I can stop annoying
you with my messages and try to do it by myself, but the meaning of the word
"group" means "more than one". So I can develop and ignore email (not so much
in the last days) of this group, and when in the next years I have finished
freebsd-sparc I can post a message.

Or, I can try to solve my problems asking someone else (you in this case) to
help me, to tell me where I can find docs, etc...

> I think you need to work on this a lot more before you get involved with
> this effort.

As you want.

Tell me where I can read more about what you think can improve my knolwdge.

> Get 3.0, read my message, look at the archive for Kapil's hints and my
> message.

I asked, many times, to all developers, to do docs, a more omogenic source, and
many other things. I know everyone has other things to do, but I prefer to have
one doc more than having 30 lines of uncommented code.
I want to learn and improve the port effort and (this is my opinion) I cannot
do it with "blind" source code (uncommented code, or code whose meaning is
known only by who wrote the code)

> I'm not even close to an expert on this stuff, but following the posts
> Kapil and I have made isn't that difficult.

No prob. Maybe I'm stupid. But I prefer to work on all platforms trying to
build a toolchain.

About which version of FreeBSD I'm actually using. I don't remember no mex
where we have said we need 3.0 to _compile_ the toolchain. I don't remember
this constrain. Yes, we said we have to start with the 3.0 kernel code, but I'm
not working on the kernel code (yet), only building the toolchain.

And more: I'm trying to build a toolchain to do experiments on various
platforms. If you are interested send me a private e-mail.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. If you (reader) are interested: I have compiled binutils1.9.1 and now
working on egcs1.1.1 (egcs1.1b with diff to update 1.1.1). Binutils compile
well under FreeBSD2.2.7 and RhapsodyDR2/Intel.

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...