Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 06:31:40 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        heller@cdnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: July 2nd SNAP question.

#define quoting(A. Karl Heller)
//   I recently upgraded two 9707 snap machines.  Can anyone explain to me
// what I did wrong that causes the system to startup with the wrong
// hostname?
//
// This code from rc.network displays "Doing initial network setup: hostname"
//
// network_pass1() {
//     echo -n 'Doing initial network setup:'
//     # Set the host name if it is not already set
//     if [ -z "`hostname -s`" ] ; then
//             hostname $hostname
//             echo -n ' hostname'
//     fi
//
// I can't seem to figure out what is causing it to return that when
// $hostname IS set.

What's the problem ???

hostname should be set at /etc/rc.conf, as always.

// Also, who do I talk to about making some changes to the sysinstall program?

Here ?   :)

// For example,  doing an upgrade it is possible to want to re-select
// the packages you want to install.  However, you are always forced to the
// partition program if you already picked an install package and then exited
// out to the main menu to start over.

Did you try the Configuration/Packages submenu ?  I think you have
completed the installation and hit yes when asked for more configuration.

//   One last thing, does anyone have any helpfull tools for those of us who
// upgrade?  I might start writing some of my own to merge /etc/upgrade in
// to the system, etc..

My personal opinion is that EVERY program/system that offers an
upgrade option is flawed.  They never work perfectly.  With this
in mind, I've never tried an upgrade with FreeBSD.  I always backup
everything, do a fresh install, and copy configuration files afterwards.

//   When do the current ports get upgraded?  I was very surprised to see
// the ports on the July 2nd SNAP had the new version of qpopper...this
// is automated isn't it?  if not... congrats on a great job.

The ports subsystem follows -stable, and is always relatively
updated.  If you liked that, you may like cvsup updates.  Take
a look in the handbook.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro