Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:54:19 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

[taken of -arch]

Warner Losh wrote:

> Personally, I would have included backward compatibiltiy shims in libc
> for the signal stuff for a while, but that appears to have been hard
> to do...

The problem I have with such a workaround (in general) is that it is
difficult (in general) to know when you can remove the shims. Adding the
shims is not the real problem. When the shims are there, they are either
forgotten or alternatively, removing them starts long-threaded
discussions which end up with the shims being kept because the persons
in favor of removing them are generally less fanatical than the persons
who are against its removal. When the shims are there long enough, no
active developer knows why they are there in the first place and also
decides to keep them because he/she fears world breakage and/or backward
compatibility breakage. In the mean time other shims can be created with
the workaround as precedent. Before you know it everybody is using shims
without actually knowing why and you end up with a bloated set of
libraries that, because of the shims and other compatibility stuff, are
hard to maintain and bug-sensitive. Reverting such a situation is always
more difficult than preventing it.

In short: lot's of speculation :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl