Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 07:50:00 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>, "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Threads goals and implementation

Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> > > It is probable that we will need a different syscall calling convension
> > > to handle teh async nature of the world. If we use a second syscall gate,
> > > we can intermix old and new system calls during development.
> >
> > OK, I can see how a different syscall gate might be useful during
> > development.
>
> more than that.. Old binaries must continue to run, and thus programs
> linked with libc might continue to use the old syscalls (probably less
> overhead) while prrograms using libc_r will call the new call-gate
> with a protocol mor esuited to the new ideas.

I guess I don't see why we would _need_ new system calls.  A process
marks itself as wanting SAs and you put SA hooks in the sleep/wakeup
functions.  The SA hooks are conditional on the process being marked as
wanting SAs.  Old binaries using the old libc/libc_r wouldn't be marked
as wanting SAs, so they'd continue to operate in the same way.  I know
I'm simplifying things a bit.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com