Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:50:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tim Salo <salo@networkcs.com>
To:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        johnc@networkcs.com, jpt@networkcs.com, mks@networkcs.com
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

I don't know what the future role of Chuck Cranor's ATM software ought
to be in FreeBSD, but we would like to continue to make our HARP software
(http://www.msci.magic.net/harp) more useful to researchers, (to the
extent that funding is available, of course).

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on features that might be added
to HARP.  I have a few questions about possible QoS enhancements for HARP.

o	Would support for ALTQ in HARP meet all of the identified needs
	for QoS support over ATM?  If not, what else should we consider?

o	Is there need for RSVP over ATM support, as described in RFCs
	2379, 2380, 2381 and 2382?

o	Is there a need for a user-level, native ATM API that allows QoS
	parameters to be set?  (HARP 3, the version in FreeBSD 3.0,
	supports the XNS Issue 5 ATM Transport Protocol Information for
	Sockets interface, but the QoS calls don't do anything.  Note that
	this API is a non-IP API; that is, it allows applications to
	communicate with HARP directly, rather than through the operating
	system's IP stack.)

	-	Is there need for a user-level, native ATM API that can
		set rate shaping parameters for data transmitted out
		through an ATM interface?

	-	Is there need for a user-level, native ATM API that can
		set QoS parameters for outgoing SVCs?

o	Is there need to be able to set administratively (i.e., hand
	configure) rate shaping parameters for data transmitted through
	the operating system's IP stack out through an ATM interface?

o	Is there need to be able to set administratively (i.e., hand
	configure) QoS parameters for outgoing SVCs that are used
	by the operating system's IP stack?

o	Is there need to be able to set dynamically (e.g., via RSVP or
	some similar mechanism) rate shaping parameters for data
	transmitted through the operating system's IP stack out through
	an ATM interface?

o	Is there need to be able to set dynamically (e.g., via RSVP or
	some similar mechanism) QoS parameters for outgoing SVCs that
	will carry IP traffic that is transmitted through the operating
	system's IP stack out through an ATM interface?

o	Is anything [known at this time to be] required for IPv6 QoS
	support beyond ALTQ?

o	What other QoS facilities should we consider for HARP?

Thanks in advance,
			-tjs