Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:34:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Suresh Bhogavilli wrote:

> Excerpts from what Poul-Henning Kamp said on 28 Dec 1998:
>
>  > What would it take to sway you guys over to use HARP instead ?
>
> The same functionality that we put in the Cranor's ATM driver (which
> I mentioned in my previous mail) :-)

Just tuned in to this thread.  I have to second everything that
Suresh Bhogavilli and George Uhl have stated.  I don't think
you should underestimate the extent to which Cranor's driver
is being used.  Likewise, Adaptec cards, [although I guess
this will have to change].

In any case, personally, I would like to see a simple/painless
way to select either driver (right now it is a little messy).
I agree that there is no reason to support multiple drivers
for most NICs, but, given the evolving nature of ATM-level
connection-oriented network services vs. IP-level, QoS, intserv,
diffserv, and so on, I think it is reasonable to support more
than one driver/approach.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          hlamaster@arc.nasa.gov