Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:05:10 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP nanokernel support (experimental)

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 08:00:53PM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> The two outputs I sent were with 4.0.90f. When I run 4.0.92c, ntpd is not
> able to get any accurate data from the device whereas 4.0.90f does.
>
> I get lots of these in /var/log/messages and it doesn't sync at all.
> -=-=-
> Mar  6 14:02:25 tara ntpd[7600]: parse: convert_rawdcf: INCOMPLETE DATA - time code only has 3 bits
> Mar  6 14:02:29 tara ntpd[7600]: parse: convert_rawdcf: INCOMPLETE DATA - time code only has 2 bits

It's typical from bad parity setting on your serial port.

Try a stty on that port; I bet it will show that PARENB is set.
Unset it and things should go back to normal.

> Maybe it is a problem with 4.0.92c...

Yes, it's a problem with most of the ntpd 4.0.9x series. There's
absolutely no reason why you should enable PARENB for a raw DCF77
driver; yet that's what ntpd's configure does, at least under
FreeBSD.

I sent a bug report to the ntpd team a while ago but haven't heard
from them.
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher