Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:17:47 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

Chuck Robey wrote:

> > If you are running -stable
>
> This is the -current list, and I'm running current.  I don't have the
> file "userconfig_script" nor /kernel.config.

Just to be on the safe side... :-)

> > OTOH, you might solve your problem just by adding the following two
> > lines to /boot/loader.rc
> >
> > load kernel
> > load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
> >
> > and then putting your pnp configuration line on /kernel.config (if
> > it is not there already).
>
> This is good info for current, right?  And I don't need to worry about
> "userconfig_script"?  What's load -t do (I don't need a man page, but at
> least a few words on the -t, please).

That's correct. This is good for current.

The command "load" loads things into memory. Usually the kernel or
kld modules. But you can make it load other type of data, which will
just be read and kept in memory for use by kernel/modules. This
other type of data gets tagged with a "type". load -t <type> <file>,
thus, loads <file> of type <type>. The type userconfig_script stores
kernel's userconfig settings.

> The pnp line will be the only thing in /kernel.config, that's normal?

Yes. Well, I'm not really well versed on the secrets of
userconfig_script stuff. In one example I have, a line with "quit"
has been appended to the end. I think it is not needed, though.

> I am not running stable, it doesn't track all the new config stuff, but
> I have all the files listed below, it seems.

Well, then I'd like to know what error message is showing up... :-)

> > /boot/loader.4th
> > /boot/support.4th
> > /boot/defaults/loader.conf
> >
> > The last file is all you really need as example.
>
> I was asking about where to stick in the pnp line, and an example of
> that.  I guess it's not loader.conf (I just tested that, it didn't work
> there).  I'm a little leery yet of the load -t because I don't have that
> userconfig_script file, and I don't know what the load -t does.

"help load" on the loader helps here. The man page is coming out
today, though.

As for the pnp line, that just happens not to be loader's stuff...
:-( I'll have to figure out how to best make this information
locatable... :-(

The pnp line is a "userconfig" type of information. It must, then,
be put on a file to be loaded with "-t userconfig_script" flag. But,
as I said, I have little familiarity with userconfig stuff. I think
it is the commands you would type if you booted -c and entered the
commands manually instead of using the visual config.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"My theory is that his ignorance clouded his poor judgment."