Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 02:40:34 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS client zeroing out blocks on write?

In the last episode (Dec 04), Matthew Dillon said:
> Hmm.  I thought we had fixed all the zeroing problems.  Are you sure
> you compiled your current up from the latest source?

Yep.  The machine was a snapshot install from Nov 15 that I rebuilt
world on the 23rd, and rebuilt the kernel on Dec 2nd.

> I am presuming there are no other clients accessing the output files
> while the split is running?

Correct.  "split" isn't even strictly necessary, but it makes it easier
to generate multiple gigs worth of data across an nfsv2 mount point.
Depending on my mount options, the glitch is sometimes infrequent
enough to only occur once every 5-10 gig of generated data..

> Interesting.  It looks very similar to a problem we fixed months ago.
> That problem was related only to NFSv3 and mmap(), and you aren't
> using mmap() here.  It's disturbing to see this problem occur with
> both NFSv2 and NFSv3.
>
> I wonder if the problem occurs between a FreeBSD client and server.

Most of my tests have been done on NFSv3 mounts since they are so much
faster.  I'll try another test run, NFSv2 mounting another FreeBSD box
and see what happens.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com