Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:16:29 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@wyvern.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp>
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world is failed on pc98

Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:

> > BTW: Is there a special reason to have boot2 in aout?
>
> Because nobody transplant from the i386 boot2 :-).
> FreeBSD(98) porting team is always suffering from a shortage of
> workers.
>
> In article <199912120121.RAA00570@mass.cdrom.com>
> Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> writes:
>
> > Only in the longer term, I think.  How hard would it be to port the 'new'
> > i386 boot2?
>
> There are few people who are knowledgeable about pc98 boot sequence.
> And that we all have our regular work. So, it is very difficult to
> port the i386 boot2 to pc98.

Please correct me if I'm wrong while I'm drawing the picture:

Since pc98 only has a specialized boot2 and thus shares boot0 and boot1
with other architectures, it can be assumed that an ELF boot2 doesn't
need any special hacking in boot0 and/or boot1, right?

boot2 is already capable of loading ELF, right?

Isn't it therefore enough to just compile boot2 as ELF?

In other words, what are the problems?

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/