Date:               Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:26:23 GMT0BST
From:      James ANNESLEY <K980705@atlas.kingston.ac.uk>
To:        FREEBSD-FS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:         crashed disk

Dear Fs goup,

I attempted to create a new partition on a disk drive in RedHat
5.0. This didn't work. Instead my other hard disk became unusable.
When attempting to fix this in FreeBSD 2.2.6, I was interested to
find that the disklabel for this crashed disk was different from that
stored in the FreeBsd system. Even after a new FreeBSD installation.
I have noticed similar comments in this forum; to the effect that the
disklabel stored on the disk is different from the one stored in
FreeBSD for the same disk.
I used:

$disklabel wd2

and

$disklabel -r wd2

Can any one shed any light on the matter?
I solved the problem by using DOS fdisk and formating the drive
again.

James