Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:49:16 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, hardware <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mixing P2 types for SMP (Was Re: Two P2)

Hi,

Well, I see there two points :
- you have to use the same bus clock for both chips (66,6 or 60 MHz in
the case of your PPro's)
- I still don't know if I could mix two different clock multipliers
(66x4 for a 266 Megger vs 66x5 for a 333 - which would use the same bus
clock)

	Thks

	TfH

Karl Pielorz wrote:

> HERBELOT Thierry wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm contemplating buying an SMP motherboard, now that SMP is a
> > "mainstream" feature of FreeBSD-Stable.
> >
> > I was wondering if it is possible to mix P2-types on an SMP motherborad
> > (I've got already a p2-266, and I would like to buy just an SMP
> > motherboard (perhaps an ASUS P2L-DS) and the cheapest p2 I can buy
> > today, which must be a p2-333)
> >
> > I remember that you had to be very strict when running SMP-Pentiums
> > (sams mask level, same speed ....) Is it still the case for P2 ?
>
> AFAIK you'll just have to clock down to the lowest common denominator, and it
> should be OK... I've seen P-Pro systems running with 1 x 180 an 1 x 200, but
> you'd have to clock them both at 180...
>
> Be warned though that Intel are stoping people from fiddling the clocks on
> their new P2 chips (i.e. overclocking) - and whilst your not trying to do this
> if they disable multiplier pins etc. you might find yourself a victim of their
> new policy...

"older chips" from Intel should be amenable to higher heights (==
overclocking - happy) there are reports where a 366-MHz Celeron could
not POST at higher clocks ...:-(