Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:13:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new dist area ?

i'm getting bounces from freebsd-maintainers@freebsd.org btw.

> > > FreeBSD-current -> branches/-current
> >
> > personally i think it's a mistake to have a directory name like
> > -current, but i'm not a maintainer..
>
> I'd have to agree with you about that.

mirror [/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/branches]m> cd -current
Usage: cd [-plvn][-|<dir>].
mirror [/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/branches]m> cd "-current"
mirror [/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current]m>

have to love this.

> > i'm getting a little frustated at changes with no warnings.  am i not
> > on a list somewhere where perhaps someone is sending out all the
> > changes that are occuring ?
>
> It was announced on the FreeBSD-hubs list.  Didn't you see it?

only the original posting above moves.. nothing about the recent moves.
the current mirror has been going for 36 hours to try and update branches
(which i could have updated by simply moving 2 directories into that
area and just updating files..)

and yes, i'm now looking at fmirror/omi to get around memory/time problems
with mirror.

19367 mirror     1  35    0  122M 3528K sleep  77:53  0.57% perl

> CVSup preserves hard links.

is there a mirror.howto for freebsd anywhere ?

e.g what needs to be preserved using `mirror' and what needs to be
cvsup'ed now ?

previously i'd been using:

#
package=freebsd
        site=ftp.freebsd.org
        remote_dir=/pub/FreeBSD
        local_dir+/FreeBSD
	exclude_patt=(^|/)(incoming|\.notar|\.nocompress|\.recent|\.mirror|\.mutex_build|lost\+found)
        local_ignore=(FreeBSD-CVS|FreeBSD-current/(doc|ports|src|sup|www)|FreeBSD-stable/(src|sup)|doc/(mailing-lists))
        ls_lR_file=/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz
        do_deletes=true
        make_bad_symlinks=true
        mode_copy=true
        max_delete_files=20%
        max_delete_dirs=20%
#

and CVSup to update CVS/current/stable.

what's the current requirement for a complete mirror ?

and can people please not move anything around anymore for a bit ?
and give some notice before any further moves ?  i almost deleted
half the archive today because i was down to 99% of disk, before
realising that i had 2 simultaneous copies of -current and -stable
due to the move.

-jason
--
 jason andrade       dstc pty ltd               jason@dstc.edu.au
 senior sysadmin     level 7, GPS Building 78   i just wanna be