Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:07:34 -0500
From:      "Gary S. Mackay" <Gary@EdisonInfo.com>
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports?

OK, I've been working with RedHat for over a year and have become fairly
decent with Linux. Now, my next challange is to conquer FreeBSD. (I'm
reviewing each so as to better consult my clients) anyway, I created the
boot disk, installed FreeBsd 2.2.8 and it is attached to the network
just fine. I can telnet, ftp, etc. Now, my main objective is to create a
web server. I selected the apache.xxx port and watched it install
something, but it doesn't seem to be running. I don't see anything that
looks like it in "ps aux" nor can I browse to it from my WinXX boxes. I
found the /usr/ports/www/... series of directories, but everytime I
launch the make command, it tries to go to the web and download stuff.
Don't I have what I need on the CD? (I purchased it from LinuxMall for
$1.89, big spender!)

My question: What the heck are ports and where can I find documentation
so that I can RTFM? Just get me started, please :)

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554