Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 08:37:39 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AVM Fritz PCI

Oren Sarig writes:
>Whoops, the whole problem was that the device
>wasn't configured for chap :)

[snip]
>disconnect" (which threw me off). Anyways, if I do
>`ifconfig isp0 debug` and examin the debug output,
>I see that when it tries to connect, there are
>numerous `/kernel: isp0: lcp parse opts:
>auth-proto [not configured]  magic  send conf-rej',
>which probably shows that the authentication
>protocol was not set to chap. What did I do wrong
>in the script for setting it to chap? I get an
>error about `Invalid Argument' when I type the
>command, but I also get it if I just type
>`spppcontrol isp0` or even `spppcontrol lo0`, and
>loopback does work. How do I set it to chap?

[snip]

This is all a follow-on error from spppcontrol failing. Despite what
Klaus Herrmann wrote in an earlier mail, you cannot just ignore it.
spppcontrol must operate correctly in order to pass the configuration
arguments to the kernel, as you've now discovered.

This question has been asked and answered several times in the last few
weeks. I'm inclined to point you at the mail archive at www.freebsd.org,
but your sPPP link doesn't work, so I cannot.

I recommend that you change /sys/net/if_sppp.h as follows - in the definition
of struct spppreq change the ``int cmd;'' to ``unsigned long cmd;''. Copy
the modified file to /usr/include/net. Edit spppcontrol.c and remove the
``#define SPPP_VJ'' line. Re-build spppcontrol and the kernel. Install the
new spppcontrol and the new kernel and re-boot.

This is a general problem in the release version of i4b. The inconsistent
use of SPPP_VJ in the kernel and spppcontrol is leading to problems. I
suggest that spppcontrol.c should be distributed with the ``#define SPPP_VJ''
line commented out. This option has virtually no effect on performance and
SPPP_VJ is not defined in -current.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de