Date:      Wed,  1 Dec 1999 13:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      FreeBSD Core Team <core@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-policy@freebsd.org
Cc:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Core policy statement 19991201

Core has been criticized for many things: a lack of leadership,
ambiguity or inequity in its policy decisions, being
unapproachable.  As a distributed governing body of 16 it
can be time consuming to reach decisions, and once they
are made, ratifying a concise, clear description of our
policies takes even longer.  We know that our communication
style of the past, often a failure to communicate at all, is
unacceptable.  We ask for your patience as we work to improve
the situation.  Hopefully this message, clarifying our policies
on peer review and how they pertain to Matt Dillon's request
for 'normalized' commit authority, is a step in that direction.

Trust and respect are the cornerstones of any relationship.  The
punitive action taken by Core against Matt came in response to a
breach of trust, not a loss of respect.  Regardless of our attempts to
convey this fact up to now, we have yet to see a commitment from Matt
to regain our trust.  Technically, he has not violated the 'review
before commit' provision for his commit access, but this is only
a small portion of his relationship to the project.

It is understandable for an individual to lose respect for an
authority that acts to control him.  It is understandable for a
developer with large ideas and copious amounts of free time to become
frustrated with what he sees as an impediment to his progress.  But
none of these extenuating circumstances excuse the behavior of *any
developer* who attempts to undermine the reputation of the Project or
openly refute the authority of its governing body in our public mailing
lists.  Matt calls for respect from Core.  Our respect for him never
left.  To rebuild Core's *trust* in Matt, however, he must demonstrate
that he respects the structure and the rules that govern this project
even when he may not personally agree with them.  These rules, including
the rules governing the content of our public mailing lists which Matt
has violated, have been published and agreed to by all committers.
Working to strengthen the project, abiding by the guidelines of the
project, and being a team player is the path to regaining our
trust.

Matt has requested that Core lift the extra restrictions on his commit
authority.  In an environment of rebuilt trust, that request would
make sense or be unnecessary as the restrictions would have been
lifted by Core long ago.  Unfortunately, rather than actively seek
to reestablish such trust, Matt has chosen to become more and more
strident in his demands that Core trust him again.  Firing blistering
tirades at the Core team in public is not a constructive way to regain
our trust, and it pollutes the collaborative environment the developers
of this project demand.  Core patiently waits for Matt to stop
acting in a manner which only brings results contrary to his own desires,
but each outburst makes any reasonable opportunity to jump in with a
compromise solution recede further into the distance.

The restriction on Matt's commit authority is designed to counter
one particular area of lost trust.  We trust all committers to use
common sense in their relationship with the project, respect other developers,
and also to know when their changes warrant a review.  There has always
been an "unwritten rule" that changes with significant impact to FreeBSD,
or in complex, central infrastructure areas (VM, VFS, etc.) require
review.  This policy is designed to maintain the high code quality
of FreeBSD.  In order to limit the restriction this "rule" imposes
on progress, it is left to the developer's discretion to decide when
it applies.  Core *trusts* that developers will act in good faith to
honor the rule, err on the side of review if ever in doubt, and revert
any change in the case of a dispute.  Matt Dillon violated that trust
and it resulted in the revocation of his commit status.  Our current
policy is designed to allow Matt to work within the project while he
restores that trust.

As always, Core welcomes constructive commentary on how to better the
project.  On many occasions we have received and implemented
suggestions from our user community.  However, personal attacks or
derisive arguments on our public lists will not be accepted from
*anyone*.  This is the only way we can ensure a healthy environment
for collaboration in the FreeBSD community.

- The core team

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-policy.
The list contains policy statements from the FreeBSD Core Team.