Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 12:56:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SYM driver 0.6.0 -> BETA

Hello,

I just made available sym driver release 0.6.0 at:
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/drivers/freebsd/experimental/

Since I have completed successfully all the testings I had=20
planned, and based on the few number of problem reports I=20
received (all have hopefully been fixed), I have decided to=20
switch the sym driver status to BETA-RELEASE for the support=20
of SPI2 and i386 architecture.

The testings of the C1010 support (Ultra-3 DT data transfer=20
support) is planned to be performed at LSILOGIC by Pamela Delaney=20
<pam.delaney@lsil.com>, since I haven't all needed hardware=20
resources for that testings, neither I have time enough for.=20
Pamela has added support for the C1010 to the Linux sym53c8xx=20
driver and her current sym53c8xx driver version is working=20
quite well with C1010 revision 0. I donnot have information=20
about the availibility of C1010 based controllers. Hopefully=20
this will happen at the beginning of Year 2000 or just before.

The purpose of the sym_hipd driver for FreeBSD is to provide=20
the best possible support for 810A, 860, 825A, 875, 876, 885, 895,=20
895A, 896 and 1010 SYMBIOS/LSI PCI-SCSI controllers which is not=20
provided by the stock ncr driver. The old chips (810, 815, 825),=20
that are not supported by the sym_hipd driver can be reasonnably
supported by the ncr driver that had been designed and implemented=20
at the time of the 810/815/825. I also have planned to propose=20
some minor enhancements and to rewrite some code related to=20
FreeBSD-CAM in the ncr driver.

Performance comparisons between the ncr and the sym drivers may=20
allow to suspect bugs in a driver or to give clues about pathes =20
in the ncr driver that need to be improved. People who may want=20
to demonstrate that ncr is faster than sym are wasting their time=20
in my not so humble opinion.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to have some results=20
addressing reliability and performances comparisons against=20
equivalent host adapters from other vendors (given reasonnable SIM).
For now, I didn't received any result of this kind.

Even if my crystal ball has told me about the reasons of this=20
lacking of reports, I would be glad to check how it has been right. ;-)
Thanks in advance for the reports.

G=E9rard.