Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:08:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fatal Trap

 I have a Tyan mb dual 400mhz system I'm building that's getting repeatable
crashes under disk load. This didn't occur until I compiled an SMP kernel. I'm
running -current as of last Friday and the system has 512mb of memory and 4
drives on Adaptec controllers (1 - 4gig on one controller and 3 - 9gig on the
other). Untarring a file will interestingly enough crash the system at around
the same appoximate place in the tar image every time, although it's crashed
while building ports also. The system drops to the debugger with the following:

mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid=1; lapic.id = 01000000(I've also seen it for cpuid0)
fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code  =  supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer  =  0x8:0xf0216357
stack pointer  =  0x10:0xff618ce8
frame pointer  =  0x10:0xff618d0c
code segment  =   base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
              =   DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process  = 243 (tar)
interrupt mask = net tty bio cam <-SMP:XXX
kernel: type 12 trap, code 0
Stopped at  generic_bzero+0xf:    repe stosl    %es:(%edi)

Any ideas as to what to look for ? Thanks.

Greg

Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>   US WEST -  Internet Service Operations
"The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly
used communications technology in the days before electronic mail.
They're still easy to find in most large cities." -- Nathaniel Borenstein