Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:25:36 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   32-bit sparc port

Hi,

From recent archives it looks like there's a few people with some
vintage sparc hardware to throw at a 32-bit porting attempt. Just
thought I'd throw up my hand too -- I have an IPX running OpenBSD
2.5 on my desk at home, and there will be a SPARC Classic joining
it in the next couple of weeks.

I'm more than happy for only one of these boxes to work at any
point in time :)

I'd consider myself an adequate (possibly competent :) programmer, but
I've never attempted to cross-compile a single line of code. However, I
should have some time in the next six months or so, since I'm on a bit
of a wind-down at work waiting for a visa so we can move countries, and
my pregnant wife is asleep for most of the time so I'm bored in the
evenings :)

In other words, if other people might be able to chip in the
occasional word of encouragement and/or advice, I'm quite happy to
trudge around doing some legwork.

This is probably a particularly naive thing to ask, but is there any
general info describing basic approaches to porting *BSD between
architectures? I've had a wander around, but I can't find anything
on the NetBSD or OpenBSD web pages.

I'll have a trawl through the alpha mailing list archives in the mean
time.

Joe