Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:59:01 GMT
From:      Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hello ??

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:45:55 -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 10:37:10PM +0000, Robert Swindells scribbled:
>| David O'Brien wrote:
>|
>| >Then install Linux, the OS you use for early hosting doesn't matter.
>|
>| Installing Linux may be a better bet for now anyway, I couldn't get
>| the Compaq bootloader to work if I built it under NetBSD.
>|
>| The SA-1110 boards don't tend to have any firmware at all, so
>| bootloaders like the Compaq one or LART combine the features of a PC
>| BIOS and all the stages of the FreeBSD loader.

>Sigh. I've had Linux installed on my board for a couple days now.
>(Long before David had told me to install Linux.)
>It seems that we at least want to be able to boot from flash.

>Right now, I like the flatpanels.com graphic client board better
>than the Intel Assebet, simply because we can boot off the flash.
>They are also cheaper with more functionality.

The Assabet will boot from flash too, but it really doesn't make
much difference which board you use.

All of the development boards are going to be very similar since so
much is built into the chip itself. After this, you only have a choice
of a couple of ethernet controllers, both of which have drivers
available.

Other alternatives are to use the compilers either on Compaq's
skiffcluster or on their Alpha Testdrive machines.