Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:16:22 +0200 (EET)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SpeedStreem 3060 ADSL

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, George W. Dinolt wrote:

> After some digging around, I determined that the card is running ppp on
> top of ATM. Why it is done this way is beyond me. Maybe it has to do
> with the fact that ATM is session oriented and this is a "cheap" way of
> building a session. Has anyone had any experience getting such a card to
> work on FreeBSD? If not, are there people who have started work on
> building a device driver for such a card? I am not sure if I will be
> able to convince PacBell to give me the other interface.

PPP is easiest way to get user authentification/identity.

As far as I know there is now any drivers for internal xDSL
cards (except VDSL). Problem is to get documentation from
manufacturers and DSP code required for processing DMT line code.

I have tried to get documentation for ADI AD20msp910 chipset
which is used in SpeadStream 3020. But no success so far.
SpeadStream 3060 uses Alcatel chipset. There is uncompleted
driver for 3010 (which does not contain DMT physical line interface
only ATM-25).

best regards,
taavi