Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 02:41:51 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Non-constant format string list

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

I have uploaded the list of warnings from make world with
-Wnetbsd-format-audit enabled, to
http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/gcc-format-audit

Most of these warnings are not actual problems (e.g. all uses of the
function are safe), and some can be silenced by appropriate use of
const, but the rest must be checked that all uses of the function
which takes a format string argument are in fact safe.

I will be updating the above list as the warnings are checked for
safety. In fact I have already corrected some in -current.

What would be very useful is a list of library functions which take
format string arguments in the format of a pscan data file
(/usr/ports/security/pscan). pscan by default only comes with common
libc function definitions - if we can expand it to cover all FreeBSD
library functions which take format strings it will assist in auditing
of FreeBSD code. Any takers?

If anyone is interested in helping the format string audit, please
mail me with the directories from the above list you want to cover,
and I'll update the list so there isn't unnecessary duplication of
work.

Kris
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--